Râmnic Archdiocese’s Department of Mission among Roma People celebrated its sixth anniversary on June 9, 2021.
It was established by Archbishop Varsanufie, first as a catechetical office, in 2015. In April 2019 it became an archdiocesan department.
The department currently runs the following programs:
- “Mirro ghiozdano – my school backpack”: It offers school backpacks and stationery to Roma pupils;
- “Sastipen le rromenqe – Roma people’s Health”: Health prevention activities among Roma communities in partnership with Vâlcea county’s Public Health Direction;
- “Phirutno vaś o des – Pilgrim for a day”: Charity pilgrimage service;
- “Podema tatipe – Warm little boots”: Winter boots for Roma people who cannot afford them;
- “Śkola si laçi – School is good”: School abandonment prevention;
- “Av paś o Del – Come near God”: Catechetical program for Roma people.
Roma people of the Râmnic Archdiocese regularly receive hygiene products, food and clothes eye-doctor examinations and other similar support measures.
Other two programs will be soon implemented:
- “Aven te das duma – Your child is important, let’s talk about it”: Psychological counseling for fathers;
- “Sastipe tirre hurdeske – Your child’s health0: Prevention program in children’s health.
Photo credit: Archdiocese of Râmnic