Today, the Synaxis session of the abbots, abbesses and igumens of the Metropolitanate of Muntenia and Dobrudgea was held at the Palace of the Patriarchate. The Synaxis was chaired by His Beatitude Daniel, Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox Church.
The following members of the Metropolitan Synod of the Metropolitanate of Muntenia and Dobrudgea attended the event:
- His Eminence Metropolitan Nifon, Archbishop of Târgovişte
- His Eminence Teodosie, Archbishop of Tomis
- His Eminence Ciprian, Archbishop of Buzău and Vrancea
- His Eminence Calinic, Archbishop of Argeş and Muscel
- His Eminence Casian, Archbishop of Lower Danube
- His Grace Vincenţiu, Bishop of Slobozia and Călăraşi
- His Grace Galaction, Bishop of Alexandria and Teleorman
- His Grace Visarion, Bishop of Tulcea
- His Grace Timotei Prahoveanul, Assistant Bishop to the Archdiocese of Bucharest
The Synaxis began with a short prayer, after which the Patriarch of Romania opened the session with a speech addressed to those present in which he showed that a monastery is missionary to the extent to which it is spiritual.
The monk’s mission is not based on special missionary programmes, on special financial funds, but done through the very way of living. It is the way in which the monks and nuns live in the monastery that determines their mission. Sometimes a good piece of advice, a prayer for the one who does not know how to pray, helping a desperate and confused person mean mission, but not wondering about in the world, but how we receive the people in the monastery. This is why the spiritual formation is an act focused on one’s own salvation both through repentance, through communion with the Holy Sacraments, through the entire spiritual life, and through the way in which we confess our love for Christ, His Beatitude said.
Then, the Archbishop of Tomis delivered the main lecture on the theme Spiritual and cultural formation of those living in the holy monasteries.
During the second part of the Synaxis the abbots and abbesses received spiritual advice and proposals for reviving the monastic life from the hierarchs of the Metropolitanate of Muntenia and Dobrudgea.