The Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church held its second session Saturday, 29 October 2016, in the Synodal Hall of the Patriarchal Residence in Bucharest, chaired by His Beatitude Patriarch Daniel. The Holy Synod took the following decisions:
- The year 2018 was declared Solemn Year of the Unity of Faith and Nation and Commemorative Year of the Founders of the Great Union of Romania in 1918 in the Romanian Patriarchate;
- The Holy Synod approved the organization of the Conference of the International Association of Orthodox Theology in Iaşi, during 9-12 January 2019;
- The existence and the activity of certain schismatic groups, allegedly Orthodox, which disturb the parishes, have been reported. It was decided that the diocesan centres take measures to inform the faithful at local level;
- The activity of more than 350 associations and foundations operating at local level with the bishop’s blessing was assessed. The Holy Synod appreciated their activity, their real contribution to the social and cultural life of the faithful, and their close cooperation with the Church.
- The Holy Synod approved the publication of the Menaion and the Book of Akathists of the Romanian Saints;
- The Holy Synod approved the enlistment of Saint Martyr Agnes (celebrated on January 21st) in the calendar of the Romanian Orthodox Church;
- Several liturgical texts have been approved: The Office of St Anthony from Iezerul Vâlcii (Tarn of Vâlcea) – November 23rd; The Akathist to Saint Martyr Julius the Veteran – May 27th; The Akathist to the Holy Unmercenaries Cyrus and John – January 31st and June 28th; The Akathist to the Holy Martyr Hermes of Bononia – December 31st; The Akathist to Saint Timothy the Apostle – January 22nd; The Akathist to the Pious Saints Daniel and Misael from Turnu Monastery – October 5th.
At the conclusion of the working session, the members of the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church participated in a memorial service held for those who died after the Colectiv club fire, which took place on 30 October 2015.
Press Office of the Romanian Patriarchate