Archbishop Leo of Helsinki and all Finland visited with his convoy the Theological School of Halki, Romfea News reports.
The Archbishop was welcomed by the fathers of the Brotherhood of Holy Monastery of the Holy Trinity of Halki.
Later, the Archbishop of Helsinki took a guided tour of the seminary and the library, walked around the gardens, and dined at the Monastery’s refectory.
The Halki seminary, formally the Theological School of Halki was founded on 1 October 1844 on the island of Halki (Turkish: Heybeliada), the second-largest of the Princes’ Islands in the Sea of Marmara.
It was the main school of theology of the Eastern Orthodox Church’s Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople until the Turkish parliament enacted a law banning private higher education institutions in 1971.
The theological school is located at the top of the island’s Hill of Hope, on the site of the Byzantine-era Monastery of the Holy Trinity.
The premises of the school continue to be maintained by the monastery and are used to host conferences.
Photography courtesy of Romfea News.