The Very Reverend Archimandrite Damaschin Luchian was consecrated Sunday auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Suceava and Rădăuți during the hierarchal Divine Liturgy celebrated at the Archdiocesan Cathedral in Suceava.
His Eminence Teofan, Metropolitan of Moldavia and Bukovina, presided over the Divine Liturgy. Concelebrants for the service included:
- His Eminence Iosif, Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan of Western and Southern Europe,
- His Eminence Teodosie, Archbishop of Tomis,
- His Eminence Pimen, Archbishop of Suceava and Rădăuți,
- His Eminence Ioachim, Archbishop of Roman and Bacău,
- His Grace Nicodim, Bishop of Severin and Strehaia,
- His Grace Gurie, Bishop of Deva and Hunedoara,
- His Grace Macarie, Romanian Orthodox Bishop of Northern Europe,
- His Grace Timotei of Prahova, Assistant Bishop to the Archdiocese of Bucharest.
In his homily, the Metropolitan of Moldavia and Bukovina pointed to the main duties a hierarch has. He said that a bishop should always pay attention to Christ and to his flock and that his episcopal ministry should be characterized by vigilance. Metropolitan Teofan prayed to God Almighty to strengthen, protect and bless his servant the auxiliary bishop Damaschin in order to fulfil the divine will by serving Christ’s Church in humility, courage, patience, and dignity.
At the end of the Divine Liturgy, His Grace Timotei of Prahova read out the patriarchal act by which His Grace Damaschin of Dorna is officially recognized as Assistant Bishop to the Archdiocese of Suceava and Rădăuți.
After being congratulated by Archbishop Pimen, the newly consecrated Bishop Damaschin took the floor and referred to the episcopal ministry.
Ignoring my young age and my spiritual imperfectness, but promising by grace, the Lord sets in front of me a new cross – that of hierarchal ministry – and opens the way to a work in which I am His mouth and hand, to teach and sanctify His faithful people. I begin this holy mission with humility and gratitude, he said.
Photo Credit: Doxologia/ Tudorel Rusu